Monday, March 11, 2013

A Tale of Paint in Pictures

In trying to find something to write about, for no reason other than that it's been a while, I realized that I actually have too many things to write about! So I will just give you an overwhelming number of pictures, yay! This story starts with a beautiful blue credenza. One which I fell in love with at Pam's Furnishings on Hwy 72, but the only one in the store was already paid for and on hold for somebody. Oh, and it was something like $700. When the lady (Pam?) saw me drooling over it, she asked if she could put me on her call list for the next one that came in. She said they were in high demand and that it might be a while. Like a phony rich person, I acted interested and let her take my number. That was August... and she actually called me in February. She wasn't kidding! Sadly, I had to tell her I couldn't take it. So this is the piece that inspired me to go a little crazy with some paint:

Terribly dark picture, but this was such a unique piece and a gorgeous turquoise color!

First up! China cabinet. I bought this on CL, along with a table and set of 5 chairs. I didn't like the table, so I sold it and the chairs for more than I bought the entire set for. Free china cabinet!! It paid for most of the paint, too.


Loving this chalk paint... zero fumes!! I've been using CeCe Caldwell's paint purchased at the The Plucky Peacock

Yay, done! Dark grey on the backboard, Dover White on the rest of the cabinet. I wanted a white cabinet, but wanted to be able to see my lovely dishes.

I think that my favorite part is the light! Ella is admiring my work. ;)

These chairs were another CL find, on the cheap! They started off with a dark finish.

Mahogany? Cherry? Not sure. I'm sure these backs have a name, too. I should brush up on some decorating terms!

The chairs were in mostly good condition, just needed a little wood glue. 

These will be Traverse City Cherry!

The best thing about this paint is that you don't have to do a bit of prepping... literally just wipe down the wood to clean and start painting!

Actually... I lied. The very best part of the chalk paint is the clean up. I have a hard time cleaning paint brushes. I either wait too long or don't know what to use to get them clean... This paint washes right out with warm water no matter how long it's been sitting! Not to mention, I can paint in red and wipe drops of paint off of my wood floors, even after they've dried, with nothing more than a wet paper towel. 

Not only were these seats gross, but they were gross twice.

Always in my way helping!!

Covered the seats with a little extra cushion/batting.

And then there was PAISLEY!!! In every color! <3

A coat of polyurethane, attach the seat, and done! I picked a satin poly and absolutely love the finish.

Close up... because I love it!

Pier 1 clearance inspiration piece in the background. This will hang somewhere in the dining room.

I found the picture that made me first want red chairs a long time ago. I didn't even realize I had picked the same paint color! Chrissie's Collection is part of the Plucky Peacock, so I guess it makes sense. 

Eventually this project will be up! 

I've already bought the fabric, but I think it would be best to let a pro do the job. 

And eventually this one, too... that I have also already bought fabric for! Anyone know where to find 347 upholstery tacks? They've been hard to find, or I just don't know where to look. Or can I reuse??
And this project only lacks a touch-up and coat of poly. Maybe by the weekend I will have (a few) more pictures for you!




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Brittany! You have been a busy lady! I absolutely adore the china cabinet. The dark gray with the white dishes is perfect. And what fun chairs!!! I need you to come design my house please and thank you. ;)

    ReplyDelete